Connecting the Star MCP31LB printer to iOS and Android devices
Star MCP31LB BK (or Star mC-Print 3 LAN/USB/iOS/BT) is a thermal receipt printer compatible with the TicketCo mobile apps. It uses 80mm rolls of thermal paper, like our other supported printer, Star 654. This printer connects to our apps through a Bluetooth interface on both Android and iOS and additionally via a USB-to-Lightning cable on iOS.
What you need to get started
You will need:
- The printer with its DC adapter
- A mobile device with Android or iOS/iPadOS
- 80mm thermal paper roll
- TicketCo Admin app downloaded to your mobile device
- USBA-to-Lightning cable for iOS (or USBA-to-USBC on the models with this interface).
Before you start using the printer, ensure that you have enough paper roll inside. If not, please resupply with a new roll.
Note how the paper should be inserted into the printer.
Checking the Bluetooth interface
Firstly, ensure that the printer is connected to a power outlet and is turned on.
If the Bluetooth symbol is not lighting up, this means that the printer is not connected to any other device, and you can now connect it to your mobile device.
If there is a blue light display, this means the printer is connected to another device. To disable this, ensure that you "forget" the printer on the device in question. If the LAN light is present, change this interface to Bluetooth as shown below.
Connecting the printer to your mobile device
On an Android device, go to your device's Settings, then Connections and Bluetooth. Find the printer and connect.
On an iOS device, head to Settings, go to Bluetooth, find the printer and connect.
Connecting to the TicketCo app
- Open the TicketCo admin app and log in as normal
- Go to Settings > Ticket printer
- For iOS/iPadOS: The printer should connect automatically upon selecting Ticket printer. If the printer does not connect automatically, select the Star Micronics logo to force the connection. When you see the printer listed on the page, it is connected.
- For Android devices: Tap Star Micronics and confirm the connection in the pop-up.
Connecting via USB
On iOS and iPadOS devices, you can also connect the printer via a USB-to-Lightning cable (or USB C on the new Apple mobile devices). You can insert the cable into the back of the printer by removing the back plate, and then you can connect the other end to your iOS/iPadOS device. In the TicketCo app settings, you should see that the printer is automatically connected, otherwise tap the Star logo to force the connection.
Resetting the printer
- If you need to reset the printer, turn it off and open the back plate.
- Use a pen or other solid and thin object to push the button in the small hole.
- While holding the Reset button, turn on the printer.
- Press and hold the Feed button. Release the Feed button when you see that the interface light starts flashing.
- To change the interface to Bluetooth, press the Feed button again.
- Hold the Feed button to store your selection.
Please remember, that the printer can only be connected to one device at a time.
Any issues with the printer may well be linked to connectivity with your mobile device. In such cases, it is always worth trying to turn the printer off and on again to see if that resolves the issue.
Otherwise we recommend:
- Resetting the Bluetooth connection on your mobile device
- Resetting the printer
- Reconnecting the printer
If the issue persists, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to point you in the right direction.